Wednesday, December 28, 2005
I am not for censorship, but I do have the right to speak against something: Ku Klux Klan marches and Hustler magazine for example. But recently I saw a preview for a movie that really made me sick.
Let me start by saying “I HATE HORROR MOVIES.”
I date someone who really enjoys them, so I’ve tried… I saw “The Ring,” “The Grudge,” and “Cabin Fever.” Every time they end, I mentally kick my ass for spending time on such depravity. I also have to sleep with the light on for days… in fact, I can’t remember the last time I slept with the light off. When Cabin Fever ended, I actually cried (just a little) because I was so emotionally exhausted from terror and nausea (caused by gore).
However, I'm not shattered by all thriller movies-- I can enjoy them if they aren't just gore and blood and have suspensful plots etc. I can understand why people like being scared—it’s a thrill, after all- like a haunted house or rollercoaster. What I don’t get is the really sick stuff--- torture for torture’s sake.
There’s a new movie preview that terrorizes me every time I see it on TV. It’s called “Hostel.” You really can’t tell much from the preview, except that the movie will be about torture, the most graphic, violent torture possible. In fact the whole preview is a series of torture shots and ends with a deep, dark voice saying "inspired by true events."
Well I did a little research online, the director Eli Roth (who incidentally was the man behind the sickness of “Cabin Fever”) said the idea came about after finding a Thai website that advertised itself as a "murder vacation," offering visitors the chance to torture and kill someone for the price of $10,000.
In an online interview, Roth sounds gleeful about the movie. When asked about the writing process he said, “I just sat down and wrote the sickest, most violent thing I could.” He proudly promises that this project will be 'wild', 'ultra violent', 'sick' and 'disturbing.
Wow. Good for you. And how were you scarred as a child?
Seriously. Torture is a concept that makes me sicker than I can express. What type of human has that capability to create pain on another living human—and take pleasure in it? And furthermore, what type of filmmaker would be so gleeful to spend his time writing a script about it and shooting graphic torture scenes all day?
To answer that, it’s not just Roth…, people like Quentin Tarantino, the man who brought us family classics like “Reservoir Dogs,” “Pulp Fiction” and “Kill Bill” (SARCASM for God’s sake don’t bring a family to those movies). Apparently Tarantino also thinks this movie is a gem. When Roth told him the idea, he said, “That's the fucking scariest, fucking sickest idea I've ever heard – you've got to do it!”
What is wrong with people? How is this entertainment?
I think it goes without saying that I won’t be going to this movie. What’s more I’ve decided I am really worried about anyone who would go. What would possess you to want to watch scenes of torture? Are we that desensitized? You know... more and more people seem to be defending our country’s use of torture in Iraq. There have been plenty of cases coming to light—we can’t ignore it anymore. Some dating back years (for example visit this article: (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/20/iraq/main564095.shtml)
On a political side note: If we defend our use of torture, my question is-- what separates us from Saddam Hussein?
And if we gain pleasure from watching torture scenes—even if it’s actors, fake blood and fake vomit—what has happened to our humanity?
Saturday, December 17, 2005
HELP! ALL I CAN SEE IS RED!
Lately, I've felt less of the holiday spirit and more red-hot anger rushing through my veins. I am totally going over to the dark side. It's bad stuff. And why-- I have plently of reasons to be happy!
But it's just everywhere in the news lately... Stupid people doing stupid things.
- Bill O-Reily making an idiot of himself and raising a stink on national TV about how Christians are offended when people say "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" -- no, no no I am a Christian and that's the stupidest thing I've heard. If someone ever came up to me to wish me "Happy Rape Day" THEN I'd be offended. The mere fact that someone is wishing you a Happy Holiday-- whatever it may be, is NICE.
- the "American Family Association" is calling for a boycott of Ford for advertising in Gay magazines. It makes me mad that someone could pick the name "American Family Association" which sounds so good and positive and make it something as pointless and stupid as this. The AFA says "All we wanted was for Ford to refrain from choosing sides in the cultural war, and supporting groups which promote same-sex marriage is not remaining neutral." What cultural war? Are the "fags" threatening you with any weapons of Mass destruction? Do you see gay peoply boycotting displays of heterosexual relationships? NO. They just want to be left alone.
- More stupidity.. Pro-Life Action League of Chicago called for a boycott of American Girl dolls and merchandise. Because American Girl is teaming up with Girls Inc. -- a nonprofit since 1864 that has provided over $1.8 million in college scholarships to girls, and played a crucial role in advocacy for legislation such as Title IX and the Violence Against Women Act. They also encourage women to take on roles in math, science and politics. They offer after-school programs to underprivileged girls on subjects ranging from pregnancy prevention to substance abuse. On the website, Girls Inc, states its support for girls who might be questioning their sexuality, as well as a woman's right to choose. Those two statements apparently mean they are evil (stupid #1) and conservative groups are calling for a boycott of NOT ONLY Girls Inc., but American Girl as well (stupid #2) --- fine, just overlook all the other good their doing and make it a narrow political agenda. STUPID
- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has described the Holocaust as "a myth" and suggested that Israel be moved to Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska. How about people just live together? And Jews don't need their own separate little country from anyone? AND YOU READ A HISTORY BOOK! STUPID!
On a more personal note.. Stupid stuff that is making me mad
- School bookstore taking advantage of me... royally
-People who drink so much that they ruin the evening for everyone else
- Getting called for jury duty over holiday break..... *sigh*
- Crazy old ladies that call where I work and want to share personal information about bathroom episodes.
- Anger in general.... I feel angry about way too much stuff lately. It's Christmas or HOLIDAY TIME (whichever). Why am I so mad? Just too many bad headlines lately. I need to find my happy Zen place..
Ommmmm.... ommmm.... Ommmmyyyy GOD why am I still ANGRY!?!!??!?!