Tuesday, June 20, 2006

South Dakota will decide

It's official. On November 7th South Dakota will decide whether to legally ban all abortions *(even those performed in cases of rape and incest)* --- it will be up to the voters at large. The abortion ban was originally scheduled to take effect July 1, not it's suspended pending the outcome of the public vote. Come November, we will find out just how the state of S.D. really feels.

Even if the ban is voted in, it will immediately be challenged because of its unconstitutionality under Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade. Still, I have high hopes that South Dakota will defeat the ban on their own. True, many people are opposed to abortion in South Dakota. It's quite clear. I drove through less than a week ago and saw 5 anti-choice billboards ("Abortion stops a beating heart") before I saw ONE speed limit sign! Um, priorities anyone? But I think generally, the population has enough common sense to realize that such harsh restrictions (no abortions even in cases of rape or incest) are too much.

I can't believe we're here again. It wasn't long ago... in fact the generation of women who fought tooth and nail for our rights are still alive! They are alive and kicking. I've talked to so many women who have warned me. They tell me, "We had to raise major hell. We had to take to the street, go nights without sleep. We were spit at and called every name in the book... but by the end of the day woman had autonomy over her body. She could make a decision about her future without the interference of government, religion, or a group of male doctors. Don't forget how hard we fought."

The battle seems monstrous.

On June 17, Louisiana voted to criminalize abortion as well.

"An amended version of SB 33, the abortion ban, passed the Senate unopposed. The ban, which provides only an exception if the woman's life is in danger, would go into effect if the U.S. Supreme Court were to overturn Roe v. Wade."

Brilliant move Louisiana, I mean, people are still wandering around in your state without homes since Katrina, but lets devote Senate time to abortion!

It makes me want to cry to think we're so close to losing it all.

The fight to ensure women have access to basic health care like contraception, emergency contraception, and abortions. Even the fight to make sure our children are taught real, VALID sex education... why do we always have to fight for common sense?

I urge people to read this story:

There are major problems in the world that need addressing. Issues that involve living, breathing human beings, not a potential human fetus.

If you read this article, stop for a moment and think about the women refugees who are gang raped endlessly, then bear children as a result of this rape. Some are mutilated with guns, knives, whatever is around... and to think, in our country, if that happened to a woman she may not be entitled to emergency contraception or even an abortion.

It makes my blood run cold.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the anti-choice signs in South D. I was there over the weekend and had forgotten how many of those billboards there were.

However, everyone I know, even my slightly conservative (anti-choice) sister will be voting this law away. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

One more reason to drink on election night, I guess.

Tobes said...

I hear you on that. I'd gladly drink with you :)

Anonymous said...

http://www.rapestop.net/faq/index.asp

thought you might get a kick out of this nifty invention. yeouch.

Tobes said...

Yeah I've heard of that thing. Crazy huh?

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I heard about that a while ago...I still think it's pretty sad that society had to resort to inventing something like this in order to feel safe. I, for one, would not be able to use it.