Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Girls Tech Camp in my hometown



Where I live, Microsoft employs a lot of people. Yes, they're a huge corporate giant, but they do a lot for our community --- like DigiGirlz High Tech Camp.

From their press release:

Seventy-eight teenage girls arrived on campus this morning as the 2008 Microsoft DigiGirlz High Tech Camp got underway. The girls hail from 9 different states, including California, Colorado, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri and Mississippi.

This signature program works to dispel stereotypes of the high-tech industry by giving young women the chance to experience firsthand what it is like to develop and work with cutting-edge technology. Perhaps the most noteworthy project they will undertake during this year's camp is one of collaboration. Attendees have been divided into teams and are collaborating via webcam and LIVE Meeting with girls attending a DigiGirlz camp in Stockholm, Sweden. Together they will create a LIVE space, utilizing their diverse backgrounds and sometimes similar experiences to make their project compelling.

Smashing!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That post just make me feel all squishy.

Thanks for that!

The Red Queen said...

me too. Girl geeks are awesome.

Anonymous said...

I hope they have a similar program for males! That's true equality. However, maybe males are inherently more interested in computer technology and gadgets. I know my girlfriend can't tell the difference between hi-definition tv and regular old tv.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I cant tell the difference between hi def and regular tv either. I'm a systems engineer by trade...and astonishingly, last time I checked I also had girl parts.

TV bores the crap out of me, why would I bother when I can run enterprise class servers, and take them apart and put them back together both hardware, software and OS instead?

Anonymous said...

"TV bores the crap out of me, why would I bother when I can run enterprise class servers, and take them apart and put them back together both hardware, software and OS instead?"

I think the point he was trying to make is that recognizing high def television is pretty menial. So, the fact that TV bores the crap out of you doesn't say very much. And yeah, I can do some complicated-sounding tasks myself, but does that mean I don't ever "bother" with TV? No.

Way to go grease monkey (that's what we call the server admins at work, since their job resembles that of a car mechanic so closely. no offense.)